The tabs across the page here at the top are separate pages.
Finland-Sweden trip is a link to my journal blog I kept during my trip there. Farm sweet Farm is pictures of the house, ect that we spent 2 1/2 years in-our first taste of "country living" during our married years. (And are just leaving) This is a work in progress for my scrapbook.
House to Home page is the picture journal of making our "new" house in the West part of the state into our home (On-going current)





Sunday, December 19, 2010

Junk or Treasure?

A couple posts ago I was talking about STUFF.
If you read THIS post, then you will remember what Raimie mentioned about our early family Thanksgiving tradition of reciting/(reading) poetry.
Over the years we've had favorites, some memorized, some read, some that were wrote by the reader, many that were quickly found at the last minute (ahem...NOT yours truly of course....*I* wouldn't be guilty of that!)

This year the one our friend Gertrud read I thought was just really  perfect for my personal situation of STUFF, so I asked her for a copy.

( personally I would prefer not to  be considered "a ripe old age" But whatever---in all actuality my problem with STUFF started when I was quite young.  *sigh*)

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!


Housecleaning
I find that I have reached the stage
That is commonly known as "ripe old age,"
And I'm called each day to decide the fate
Of things I've allowed to accumulate.

The things I don't need I can always find,
From two to a dozen of every kind;
But what I do need escapes the eye
Until I return from the store with another buy.

And what is left over, being sly as a fox,
I know I may need, so it goes in a box.
That is surely the reason I've run out of space
With bundles and boxes all over the place.

From morning till evening I spend every day
Just trying to find something I've laid away.
Some comfort I find; it isn't all bad,
For I find many things I didn't know I had.

So day after day I go round and round,
Continually losting more than I've found.
I must change my program before I am sunk
Or just disappear, submerged in my junk.
-Author unknown


7 comments:

  1. Love it! I've been reading a lot lately about decluttering, lots of Don Aslett. I've done some, but still far to go - this hits the nail on the head, though! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm itching to declutter and reorganize, but I can't get into my basement, it is full of stuff that is supposed to be gone by Jan 1. But, I'm beginning to wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh...applies all too accurately to me! As much as I tell myself it's past time to go through every closet, corner, cupboard in the house and I WILL do it, there's always something much more fun to do. (i.e., visting the grandchildren!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. can I just say...ditto! ;) Though I AM getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like my room. getting tired of it but the cleaning lady always skips it for some reason... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always been a pack rat (and still am to some extent) but I have to say that the older I've gotten the more I want to get rid of stuff. I should do it cause if I don't my son will just throw it all away when I'm dead and gone:)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!